The RHS Campaign for School Gardening inspires and supports schools to provide children with gardening opportunities to enhance their skills and boost their development.
Our work within school has shown that the direct benefits of gardening for children are wide ranging:
- Improves physical and mental well-being.
- Builds life skills such as confidence, teamwork and communication.
- Enhances literacy, numeracy and oracy skills.
- Enriches the entire curriculum from science, maths and geography, to art, design and languages.
- Encourages a better and healthier lifestyle.
- Teaches about the environment and sustainability.
- Helps young people engage with their surroundings better and develop a sense of responsibility.
The Year 3 classes have been working towards obtaining the RHS 'Campaign for School Gardening' Level 1 Award. They achieved their award at the end of the first Spring half-term! Here are some of the things that they had to do to reach that first milestone.
Flushed with success, the Year 3 Garden Army march on towards their Level 2 award. The amount of work needing to be done in the Outdoor Area is growing day by day.
We achieved our RHS Level 2 Award at the end of Spring Term 2. A terrific achievement in such a short space of time. Onwards and upwards to Level 3!